Super Premium Collection Mewtwo & Mew
Barnes and Noble Timed Exclusive – $79.95
Wide Release on October 3rd, 2016
Currently this set is exclusive to Barnes and Noble stores here in the US. On October 3rd, the set is slated to hit other retail stores like Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target. The set costs $79.95, which is certainly a lot, but it includes a TON of interesting stuff. The set in total includes:
• 10 Generations booster packs
• XY125 Mewtwo-EX promo (reprint of Photon Wave Mewtwo-EX from BREAKthrough)
• XY126 Mew-EX promo (reprint of Mew-EX from Dragons Exalted and Legendary Treasures)
• 10 “Pokemon 20” themed card dividers
• Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise themed card storage boxes (slightly bigger than Elite Trainer Box boxes)
• Mewtwo and Mew collectible Kaiyodo sculpted figure
• 190+ page Pokemon Trading Card Game Illustration Collection
Having Mew-EX back in the format is nothing short of fantastic. The figure is as always absolutely beautifully done, and the storage boxes are really cool as well. The real ticket here for me is the art book though. It was originally released in December, 2014 in Japan, so it only covers cards through Primal Clash, but it is an absolute wonder to read and look at. I’ve been following this game since the beginning, and to have a book that highlights some of the amazing art this game has featured is truly wonderful. Considering this book costs roughly $30 at least, plus around $50 for the packs and other contents of this box, the price is more than justified.
To top it off, being available at Barnes and Noble, coupons get sent out to email club members all the time. I used a 15% off coupon on this myself bumping it down to around $68 instead. Definitely worth it.
For fans who just want the art book, while you won’t be able to read the text or interviews, a new release is releasing in Japan this week that covers more XY sets past Primal Clash, so it might be worth taking a look at if you’re only in it for the art and don’t care about the text.